Saturday, February 18, 2006

Back up your computer NOW!

My small 20GB harddisk died on Thursday morning. :`(

I heard some sound (later I found out it's called the "click of death") coming from my computer box on Wednesday afternoon. I was a hot day and I hibernated my computer straight after. That night it was still fine. But I did a shutdown that night and Thursday morning, it refused to boot.

I went to get a new harddisk with 10x capacity. WD2000JB - Western Digital 200GB HDD with 8MB cache. Got it from Netplus (again). If I went there 2 hours earlier, I might be able to get a 250GB one with only $6 more. It was "on low stock" when I first checked, but became out of stock just before I left my house. Oh well, 200GB should be plenty anyway.

So I spent quite some time getting the system back on. Now it's back to life, but I lost some data.

Not sure if I'll go for the Raid system to make two harddisk work together with redundancy to ensure minimal data lost in such case... Not sure how much effort will be required to set it up. If it's too much, I'll probably back it up regularly manually...

May your hard disk be strong.

No comments: