Wednesday, January 18, 2006

4 degree of separation from Google Blog

I was checking my email on Gmail just now and saw a Web Clip on top of my mailbox,
"Official Google Blog - Open federation for Google Talk - 13 hours ago".

As my usual curiosity works, I checked it out. Just one more story from Google. But then, I started to drift in the virtual flow by clicking on the first link down there: Google Talk Merits Other IMs to see how is GTalk better than other IMs.

And there's nothing much to read on that short post. But it turned out that the guy is a Malaysian Blogger! Driven by curiosity and driftism again, I click on the top of the page Random Citations to see what else he has to offer.

Bla bla bla... nothing really catch my eye until the sidebar:
What I read!
* My Photos
* Sister in Harvard
* Something smells fishy
* Just so you know
* Malaysia Chinese Students Blog
* WWW inventor's Blog
* Own Free Domains
* a Baha'i Friend
* Taste the World
* I'm XinYi
* Jimmy Messinis
* Sugar & Spicy
* Mtbeauty
* Biologisvensk
Sugar & Spicy ?! That's the exact same blog name as a friend of mine. I clicked it through and it is! ??!!

And on Sugar & Spicy sidebar again:
Friends' Blogs
* TzuYen's Blog
* Shih Ching's Blog
* Catarina's Blog
* Ke-vin's Blog
* Lynne's Blog
* Gibson's Blog

There it is, back to my own blog!

So, in summary:
Google Blog --> Random Citations --> Sugar & Spicy --> My blog

Degree of separation = 4

I suspect the degree of separation online is lesser than in real life. Hm... well, online is part of the real life, what am I talking about?! OK, put it this way, the degree of separation is a lot easier to trace online.
If you play with friendster and have lots of friends there. You'll be surprised to know this friend is a good friend of another of your friend from a totally different group/location/race/language/field. Amazing!

OK. My driftism on this session shall end here. So should you too, go back to work! Hehehe...

No comments: